A little different from my usual health conscious recipes, but I just HAD to share this one. My mum gave me this recipe after making it at Christmas. It was a real show-stopper and perfect for a celebration.
It takes a while to make the sponge base and the chocolate mousse but it is soo worth the effort!
To make the sponge, you will need:
- 25g (1oz) cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting the top
- 3 tbsp boiling water
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 100g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g (4oz) baking spread, plus extra for greasing
- 2 large eggs
To make the chocolate mousse, you will need:
- 300g (11oz) dark chocolate (no more than 40-50 per cent cocoa solids), broken into squares
- 450ml (15fl oz) whipping cream
- Firstly take a round cake tin and use the extra baking spread to grease the tin. Line the tin with baking paper to stop the cake from sticking. Then preheat the oven to 180C.
- To make the sponge, add the cocoa powder to a large mixing bowl and add the boiling water to make a thick paste. Then add the flour, caster sugar, baking powder, and eggs, and baking spread. Beat with a whisk until smooth. (An electric whisk works better if you have access to one).
- Spoon the mixture into the pre-prepared tin and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins. Check the sponge is cooked by piercing it with a skewer.
- Next, we will make the chocolate mousse. Break the chocolate into a bowl and melt over a pan of simmering water. Make sure the chocolate does not burn and then set it aside to cool a little.
- Take a separate bowl and whisk the cream to form stiff peaks. You can test the cream is firm enough by tipping the bowl upside down. Add the melted chocolate to the cream and mix them together.
- Spoon the mouse mixture over the chocolate sponge and cover with clingfilm. Leave the cake to set in the fridge overnight until the mousse sets.
- When serving, take care removing the cake from the tin so as not to break it. Serve with a dusting of cocoa powder on top and a few raspberries. Cut the cake into slices and serve with cream. Enjoy!