Working out might be the last thing on your mind at 7am when the alarm goes off. Let’s face it- it’s waay more appealing to stay in bed for an extra 20 minutes.. but finding the time in the morning for a light workout has some amazing benefits!
- It boosts your metabolism! You will burn more calories throughout the day (EPOC)
- It sets you up for the day / you will feel energized
- You’ll be less likely to skip your workout for the day (once you’re out of bed the hard bit is done)
- You’ll feel productive / accomplished
- The gym will be quieter!
- Get a better sleeping routine / better quality of sleep
I try to start my day with a small run (usually around 3-5k), and then I feel really awake and ready for my morning shower and breakfast. Once you do it a few times, your body gets used to waking up that little bit earlier, and you won’t feel so tired – the first few times you will definitely question if it’s worth it, but don’t go back to bed!!
On colder days, or if I just can’t be bothered to leave the house, I like to do a small 20 minute circuit in my room to wake myself up. If you have a gym on your doorstep you could go there and make the most of the space to yourself!
I don’t focus on any particular body part in the morning – I just do a quick all over blitz to get the blood flowing for the day. Here is my mini morning circuit:
- 50 starjumps
- 10x Russian lunges on each leg
- 50 squats
- 1 min burpees
- 30 situps
- 1 min plank
- 50 crunches
- 30 second parallel hold
- 10 tuck jumps
- light stretches (hamstrings, touch toes, shoulder circles, splits)
Mix it up and add more reps if you feel up to it, or reduce it – anything is better than nothing. Pretty soon, you’ll be going to bed looking forward to your morning workout… and don’t try to cram a workout into your morning, build your mornings around it!
You can do it!!!